In the Upper Left Hand Corner
Good morning from the upper left hand coast of the USA where the sun has yet to peak over the bluff to the east of us. I’m Marcella. I’m in Seattle with my husband and four cats. Yes, the rumor is true. We do live aboard a sailboat year round.
- If ever we meet, I will know the names of your pets long before I know your name.
- I love conspiracy theories – good, bad, indifferent – I love the what if factor.
- Closely related to this, I adore science – yes, I stayed up until all hours watching the Mars Curiosity landing. Yes. I cried.
- I’ll watch science shows and read science books until I’m blue. This fact, combined with number 2 above means that I have seen and read some of the most spurious science available. (Most science books are quite good, but boy, there’s some real questionable stuff out there and when TV gets hold of science…just double check the facts before tucking them into a book.) HOWEVER. I will maintain that for my purposes, spurious science is almost as good as the reliable stuff. Because, again, it’s all about possibilities for me.
- I’m a tea snob – my first babysitter when I was a kid was British. She taught me to appreciate a stout cup of tea. I’ve never strayed.
- My final secret – tell no one, I think my confession is prosecutable in Seattle – I loathe coffee. Smells great, tastes like something that could replace battery acid.
I write science fiction romance for Berkley Sensation, though recently, I’ve branched out with a few submissions in UF and in straight fantasy. There’s even an erotica out there (Enemy Mine – an e-special novella). My dad was in the Air Force. So I was born in Alaska then lived in: Nevada, Arkansas, Iceland, Idaho, California, Washington state, Nevada again, then back to Washington state, which is where my heart lies – although my heart would really, really like to give Hawaii a shot. I’ve developed a fondness for warm.
Both my husband and I love sailing. Our cats don’t. We spent five months last year cruising the Inside Passage (between the mainland of British Columbia and Vancouver Island). Just FYI: cats do get sea sick. Turns out, if the conditions are icky enough, so do I. We won’t be sailing around the world. Dealing with the realities of piloting a boat, dealing with ship’s systems and handling emergencies on the water find their way into my science fiction. I’m all about heroines I hope are smart and tough. I like putting them in horrible situations with no seeming possible happy ending, then I throw a bright, equally tough hero right in the path just to make things all the more difficult.
I, too, have a prize pack to offer – your pick of either of my novels: Enemy Within or Enemy Games, or if you prefer, the e-only erotica novella Enemy Mine and a $10 Amazon Gift card. Leave a comment telling me where *your* lies in the world – whether you live there or not! We’ll draw prizes beginning October 15th. BE SURE TO LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDY!! If you win, we actually want to be able to contact you.