I have several published book and have been epublishing since 2006. The industry is constantly changing that’s it difficult to come up with hard and steadfast rules for a successful writing career. For what it’s worth, here’s are some tips that I find helpful.
1. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket – publish with more than one publishing house. I’ve had houses go under and it’s a bitch to get your rights back, so it’s nice to have income coming in from several sources.
2. Don’t think there’s one way to do something – there are always options, and sometimes rules are meant to be broken. You just need to know when you can break them.
3. Don’t freak out when someone writes a bad review of one of your beloved stories. Writing is subjective. There are best sellers that I couldn’t even get past the first chapter. It doesn’t mean it’s not good but that I just didn’t resonate with the book.
4. The best way to improve your writing is to do it. So keep writing.
5. Limit your critique partners – and be sure they respect your voice.
6. Above all, enjoy the journey – all of it. Have fun with your creative process, be an individual and give yourself permission to be yourself. Not all of us write with a story outline, or crank out three books a month, or spend eight hours a day writing. It’s OK. You are the director of your own movie.
FB and Twitter: VikiLynRomance